Wednesday 29 March 2017

Flower Pressing


Flower Pressing
Since I am researching into femininity within my theme 'Gender' I thought it would be important to look into flowers as a print since floral patterns have represented femininity for decades. Flowers are seen on interior, exterior and fashion products. I decided to use real flowers in my test and use the rolling mill to transfer the print. I simply picked some partially dried flowers, placed them on natural white cotton and then rolled it until the roller passed over the whole flower. This adds pressure and makes the print of the flower transfer on the fabric. Unfortunately, this didn't work because the roller was bumpy and caused the print to be inconsistent. I tried it again with same process on the printing press but with the natural fabric Calico. As a result this worked a lot better, the pressure added was a lot more even so the print from the flower is easier to see and in my opinion, more aesthetically pleasing. I am really pleased with this test and I would like to develop it further in my further research.



No comments:

Post a Comment